Thursday, September 17, 2026

Turkish Lanterns ...Light Up Your Life!

 


Ok, the truth is, I have always loved and collected lanterns but it wasn't until I was visiting in St Helena California on July 4th that I found a shop with every color represented and aglow with light! But...it was closed! So I took my photos from the street and knew I was going to paint these magical mosaic lights.


Lighten UP!


I started with this larger sheet of paper and an arranged grouping. My original thought was to have a dark background but I realized a lighter area was needed.

I borrowed shapes within the lantern itself but also made up some designs in the pattern of the mosaic tiles. I also borrowed some proven palettes but created a few of my own. Then I positionined these lights vertically anmd horizontally, left and right,
 as I felt they looked best.





Light Up Your Life


I am not sure this series is over as yet...i want to leave that door open. I used no masking fluid but I did use a white water based pen to clean edges.  The metal is a bronze or gold on the lamps and chains makes a great texture change. I also like the connection all of them have with their similar tops and bottoms.
o
Enjoy!








Ok, the truth is that I have always loved and collected lanterns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zoom 2020

Summer Lessons....Bees and Blooms

 I taught a class to my 5 summer artists and we all loved the delicate wings and petals in this scene. Our goal was to use iridescent waterc...