Have you considered pouring a painting?

Welcome to a fun new method of blending colors on paper. Throw away your brush or at least set it aside and get ready to have some fun! Whether this becomes an exciting new background for your paintings or the painting itself, I think you need to know about this rewarding technique.

My first introduction to this method was through a Kris Parins demo, a watercolorist whose background was in graphic design. I feel her paintings seem effortless and not as contrived, but a masterful hand and designer has planned her paintings well. It is easy to see that she understands the 4 color process used by printers to establish their desired outcomes. Here is one of Kris' amazing paintings, "Captive Audience":

After attempting this method several times, I finally realized a little study into the process never hurts. I am understanding colors better as I had to select my favorite blends from a large array of yellows, reds and blues. You should do the same.  My excellent guide ( aside from You Tube videos) has been Jean Grastorf " Pouring Light" ( thank you, Nancy Charbeneau, who is also an excellent pourer)...who explains this is also an exercise in value so fast forward to my teaching this to interested beginners in January ( 24th)  at my favorite Marble Falls gallery, Galleries at Pecan Creek. This will be a beginner class in every way; you do not need prior experience to participate.

Here is my teaser set of photos :

 Basically, I planned a river scene since part of the charm of Marble Falls, Texas is that it sits on the beautiful Colorado River. My sketch was masked ( I used Pebeo masking fluid on 300# paper). Once the paper was completely drenched in water, I applied a yellow ( I used quinacridone gold), overlapping a red ( Cadmium) and a blue ( Cobalt) so that these pigments create their own depth of color as they dry. DRYING is a key component to success. Each "pour" adds it's own new dimension to the rich hues that are developed. Each pour also has a richer percentage of pigment to water to enhance the darks and mid tones.

I hope I caught your attention and interest! This is the class list. Please sign up on the gallery website ( class limited to 8):
https://www.galleriesatpecancreek.com/


I will add to my knowledge base of this technique by taking a late February work shop from Lian Quan Zeng. Contact me for more information on this Waterloo Watercolor Group work shop in Austin. Waiting list only at this point.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections

Merchandising Your Art