Jump in...the water is fine!

Never tried watercolor before? Or maybe you are an artist would like to explore a new technique? I think "splashing" ( a pouring method) is the perfect way to start a new adventure in watercolor. Thanks to a lovely group of artists from the Highland Arts Guild in Marble Falls, Texas, I was able to test my theory. I used two of my favorite paint subjects, water and rocks, to do a one day work shop. This is my painting of the image we all used to create 1) an under painting of local colors using only 3 paints, a red, a yellow and a blue 2) a rhythmic value study of light, medium and dark tones and with 3) varied splatters, brush strokes and shapes ...a fun , glowing painting.
Here were the supplies we used:


I supplied a masked sketch on 140# paper for everyone and will also included tape, straws and pipettes, stirrers and some plastic cups for mixing paints.
Each participant brought:
Any 3 transparent red, yellow and blue Watercolors. I use naphthol red, hansa yellow and Antwerp blue). All quinacridone colors work. The key is that they are transparent for mixing.

3 brushes for splattering

3 brushes to paint with ( I use a #6 pointed round, a filbert for blending and a liner or rigger)

Small pieces of watercolor paper to use for practice ( 4x6 or larger)

Masking fluid ( may want to add more than I have)/ and a mask remover if you have one
 

Gator board or painting surface to tape your painting

Spray bottle for water. You want a fine spray, nothing that is too wimpy or too strong

  Their imagination! 

With just simple instructions along the way this group of 6 risk takers ( Betty, Brenda, Evelyn, Gail, Marti and Sharin) , using their own 3 transparent colors ....jumped in! We knew from the start that all would look different as we completed them, it was amazing to also see their personalities show up on paper. Here are some of their results:






I hope they were as pleased as I was with the results. I look forward to teaching these ladies again in late summer when we approach a floral with this technique and an emphasis on negative painting. Contact me at carolsuewitt@gmail.com of you would like to be added to our class list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections

Merchandising Your Art