Let's pour a Fall Garden!/ The start....

 I know, I know...it's still summer but if your garden is like ours, it has stopped producing due to the intense heat in central Texas. We are already dreaming of the second crop, the Fall garden.  I am inspired to paint the luscious tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and squash that will be harvested because their colors are richer and more Old World than the bright Spring and Summer garden colors. I selected these veggie images from a variety of sources including our garden, the grocery store and my daughter Leslie's bountiful tomato plants in California which are healthy specimens and delicious, too!

This Fall Garden will likely be my subject for a one day work shop October 17th in Marble Falls at Galleries at Pecan Creek. I will provide the pre-drawn sketch and this method is beginner friendly. Also good for adding some new methods for experienced painters. So let's work on the game plan for that and for those interested in my current favorite paint process that uses just 3 transparent watercolors to create a vibrant, glowing painting. You can and should experiment with any transparent  red, yellow or blue combination you like but I selected these great mixers. Not all brands carry this red but M Graham does; good paint if you haven't tried it :
                                                 M. Graham Watercolors

                                      Hansa Yellow / Naptha Red / Prussian Blue

Step 1: Design and sketch your image on 140 lb paper that has been taped to a board. I use clear package tape leaving a 1/4 " border on all edges. Varying shapes and leaving openings for the viewer to enter your scene, mask white or highlighted areas. I use Pebeo masking fluid ( blue lines) and apply it with the back of my brush handle for easy cleaning. It must be completely dry before adding any moisture to the paper. The same is true ( of your paper) when removing the mask: it must be completely dry or the paper can tear. I recommend 24 hours.
 Step 2: Using a spray bottle to wet sections of the paper and a straw to literally blow the paints around, drop combinations to obtain the local color of the objects. For example, I used yellow and red to make the orange color of both the basket handle and the carrots. In the bottom right, yellow and blue to make the green of the cabbage; red and blue for the purple eggplant.



 Step 3: Complete your sprayed and "pushed" under painting. Use your fingers and any tools you like but don't use a brush. Don't over plan this too much...the  less you control this stage, the better the results will be.

                                    More to follow on the process to complete this painting.

 I do want to share that I used this method to do a 1 1/2 hour demo for the Center Art Club in Round Rock last week. Thank you to Janet Fulks and Tracie Storie who invited me after seeing my demo at Georgetown Library on July 9th. I was delighted with the attendance and the interest since these artists come from a variety of mediums including sculpture. And what a state of the Art facility they have to use! Round Rock has cretaed a beautiful environment for seniors ( over 50) to take classes, dance, create and even have lunch. Underground parking is also available at the BACA Center.

"Bath Time at the Oasis" is the completed demo painting done for Center Art Club:

 "Kauai Koi" is the completed demo painting at Georgetown Library started during a Waterloo Watercolor reception there:
Thank you to both of them for inviting me to share my ideas. Contact me if you have any questions about your painting or are interested in my one day work shops!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections

Merchandising Your Art