Meet Me at the Fountain of Hope....July Workshop and Book preview

 Hello, artists,

We have somehow survived the pandemic...for me it has been through my artwork. My workbook "Paint With Me...watercolor my way" is almost completed. My goal is to have copies available in October. There are 10 guided painting lessons to complete, each with a different emphasis for design, color and complexity. Supplies, lessons learned and lots of color mixing approaches are covered.  Each page has room for your own notes. It is a beginner's book but many longtime painters may find this information useful. My goal is to keep the cost under $40. If you would like to pre-order, just let me know.

Meanwhile I am delighted to offer a watercolor workshop in July on 3 Watercolor Wednesdays, July 7,14 and 21. It will be a "mixed class" available on both zoom and in person with distancing at my home studio for 6 vaccinated Austin area artists. Contact me for pricing and a supply list:                             carolsuewitt@gmail.com

I selected this scene for its beauty and also it's attention to architecture, cascading water and distant people. I'm calling it "The Fountain of Hope" for several reasons. I hope we will soon be able to travel to Europe again, I hope the old World colors and monuments will always be available and I hope you will try new experiences in your paintings. One of these new experiences might be adding people to your scenes. They may seem difficult but keep in mind, they are simply shapes and can be handled with relative ease. And , remember, they steal the show! I think you can see that in this sequence of painting episodes that shows I saved them for last.

The sketch was masked ( I use Pebeo which shows blue in this photo) to preserve any whites but very specifically to portray falling water and its wiggles and splashes. Can you hear it?
 I hope so.











Here is what the removed mask reveals...its very important

I will paint along with the students first focusing on the columns, then the fountain itself and lastly the foreground and people.
Here is my finished painting:




And eventually we will all have our own versions of this scene. Remember, it is not intended for all of ours to look the same. They won't and that is the beauty of artful expression, it has no defined preconception of a finished product. I encourage using other colors and your own ideas. The brand of paint, your brushes and paper do make a difference. For example, not all manufacturers have the same formula for burnt sienna...it varies.

Happy painting and let's keep in touch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Merchandising Your Art

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections