Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections




 A funny story here...my girlfriend , Nancy Kay, might be the world's greatest Christmas enthusiast. Not only is there A LOT of stuff inside and out but it is lovingly hung just after Halloween, annually refreshed and then carefully stored ( for a short while anyway) in mid January. The traditional party mix is a baking ordeal done early and given to lucky recipients. It has so much bacon fat, its best to take an antacid before munching. The candy, the wrapped staircase, the tree, the music, the smells!!! are all at their home displaying an abundance of Christmas ambiance. This silver service is always draped with pine cones and a bow and has a place of honor in the Dining Room which is lavishly decorated , set for immediate guests or for a potential drop in by royalty.

This year , in June, ( painted in April) will be the Malone's 50th wedding anniversary so I decided to paint this "family heirloom" minus the pine cones for them and asked the "story" behind what I truly thought was a family heirloom. Well, as it turns out , this was not in the family but rather a find in Round Top at the biannual flea market. Let's call it what it is...a Round Top treasure! The story can be ours to invent or tbd.

Here are a few of my efforts as I accomplished this amazing reflective piece. I worked on my colors in the silver reflecting some pink flowers as well as its design. I stayed on the cool side but couldn't resist some artistic license. I assume it is a beverage server and does have a ship etched in it. Maybe it was at the Captain's Table. Lots of good advice came from the California family as I painted it while out there for a visit.




The Back-ground was saved for last but became darker and darker as I saw its effect.   

This is the matting and framing I selected with some help of Glenn Gobel Framing in Pacific Grove , California. It will be on dispaly and for sale at Austin Bergstrom International airport starting in January 2024. Check out Gate 17's dispaly case to the right of Amy's Ice Cream. $750







This was so very fun to paint, so very Texas treasure and so very much the Malones! Happy Anniversary...!! Keep this going.

PS And, also in April, I entered the Waterloo Watercolor Group's Spring Show juried by Soon Warren. Stay tuned for more on that and also scenes from Soon's workshop.

Let me see what you're painting....


That painting won a first!! Thank you Soon for seeing my joy..."Highway to Heaven"










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Merchandising Your Art