Ideas from Maui ...

 It has been a month of travel for us! I brought a small tray of paints and some favorite brushes and did a little doodling on flights but for the most part, I enjoyed other artists' works. Time for my creating later. Some very clever ideas are out there if you go into galleries that feature local artists. I did that in Maui last week mostly at the Lahaina shops on Front Street. The restaurants are not bad either! Shouts out to Duckine, Mala and Star Noodle for their creativity with food and drinks. And did I mention the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful? Don't forget to take a sunset cruise...it's amazing. And soooo relaxing...


Artists on site: I was very impressed with some of the local artists' works in an especially competitive arena. Tourists were invited to cool off and shop in lovely settings with many featuring artists on hand to chat while they explained some special details about their works. This always increases the activity in the gallery and likely results in more sales for the artist who takes the time to be there.

Uniqueness: Sure, there were lots of waves, sunsets and boats as subject matter but I found some especially clever marketing, too. One crayon ( yep, crayon!) artist included a brand new crayon under the glazing that was a main color used in the making of it. I apologize for the reflection in this image but here is an example of Jeffrey Roberts' artwork:


Here is another example of how to be unique. This artist chose to create a wavy edge to all of her watercolors.All were top mounted with a double white matting surrounding each image:



Framing: If you market your artwork for sale either online or in a shop, you might consider a signature way of framing or matting that is all yours. The frames were works of art on their own but I did notice consistency looks best for displaying in an area. I'm rethinking the old rule: your frame should only be all about your particular piece, not any interior design. Instead, I'd like my followers to have a collection of at least similar frames to be able to hang in a grouping.

Prints: Not all galleries sell prints. In fact some are pretty darn snooty at the mention of a, dare we suggest....copy! But, let's be honest here, not everyone can afford originals, especially well framed originals in a gallery that takes at least a 50% cut of the profit. I did find a Printmakers gallery in Lahaina that was very classy selling not only local art prints on canvas or watercolor paper but also maps, framed and unframed. Much easier to travel home with these and also more affordable.

Pricing: Ok, painters, time to triple your prices! The crayon artist I mentioned had a price of $950 on a small (9"x12") original. The owner had the ability to bargain a little but the price actually added some esteem and value to his work. Think about it. If you don't value your time and your artistic efforts, who will? It's a difficult subject but I find "most" of us undervalue our artwork and never include our time. And don't forget shipping! That has to be considered because it must arrive safely and it is not cheap.

I am inspired to do a better and more unique job of marketing my finished products for sale. Meanwhile...

Aloha...(plumeria and hibiscus were in bloom everywhere!)



Sadly, these galleries and their artwork were all destroyed by the Lahaina fire in August 2023 along with great loss of life. I was so very glad I took the time to experience these and will hope a new Lahaina emerges.



Comments

  1. Sadly these shops and the artwork were likely destroyed in the Lahaina fires.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections

Merchandising Your Art