Want a "Fresh" Start?...what will your brand new year look like?

 I say... go to nature for inspiration. SIMPLISTIC, BUT NOT SIMPLE! When I think of growth and renewal, bright colors and crisp smells, I think of seasonal landscaping, spring greenery and ripening fruits and vegetables. These may have a short life but it is undeniably fresh! And a reminder to all of us to refresh especially at the start of a new year.



Colors in nature are ....well, perfect. Especially at each end of the spectrum of their growth periods as they mature. Look at California and Florida farms in the height of their growing seasons. They are rippling blankets of color that are, at first, a solid but, at closer inspection, almost pixilated versions of color that make me understand  pointilism as an art movement just a little better. These strawberries are a perfect example. Note that even in the leaves the variation is from tip to stem, topside to underside and in proximity to other adjacent colors...so take a good look! 

I have had fun painting this close-up of these luscious berries. Here are a few steps:

The design was created to be viewed horizontally or vertically

A close up of the values that changed to a purple red for my darker areas



I decided to add pearlescent blue and gold to grab the light on the wet fruit

This is an excellent beginner image to try, and I hope you will. Print a color and black and white version of my reference photo. I usually start with yellows and build from there. My pigments here are all transparents ( a property of each pigment) ; I used Hansa Yellow, Quinacridone Magenta, Transparent Orange and French Ultamarine Blue.  Don't try to reach your darkest colors at first pass. instead let the layers dry and build on them. IF you want to play with the shine, try the pearlescent touches but they are not necessary. The size of the berries makes it easier to play with values and colors on the limited palette painting. 

                                                                 Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Merchandising Your Art

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections