Artwork for my first juried show in Austin has earned a Merit Award!

Entering shows has long been a favorite of mine; one that I have not participated in for quite some time. Yes, there are fees, specific photography, deadlines, rules for submissions, sizes and framing, drop off locations, etc BUT it is a big thrill when a credited juror allows your entry ( actually two)into the competition. Just being a candidate with other members of  the very prestigious Waterloo Watercolor Society for the annual Fall Show was good enough for me! So...after watching a very eye opening demo by the juror, Kris Parins, who also taught a work shop for some very lucky artists, I was smiling. Then came the list of paintings to be displayed at

              North Hills Gallery 7050 Village Center Drive Austin                             

   and one of my paintings was selected! The Show will be open to the public Nov 10-Dec 1st. If you are in Austin, do stop by.


Allow me to introduce..."Simply Delicious"

 
...also please allow me to introduce Kris Parins' very carefully planned pouring techniques. Using 3 colors and masking all whites, she adds her colors and lets them mix on wet 140 lb paper which has had her basic drawing transferred to it. It's amazing to watch and the results are even more incredible. There can be more than 4 pourings per painting for the mid and dark tones to be masked as well. Her training as a graphic artist is evident.


                                            
 
3 colors selected were simply a light, middle and dark tone but I believe this is cad yellow (started with the lightest) and quinacridone red 
 
With the addition of her blue (Manganese?) the green appears and is carefully controlled by her spraying and rolling
 
The smart painters who took her workshop will no doubt be forever changed in their thinking. I will sign up soon! I will try it immediately.


Meanwhile I am so impressed with a pen and ink wildlife artist that I met this past week, Sherry Steele. If you have not yet seen this woman's incredible , delicate but powerful portrayal of animals, especially African varieties, head to her website as fast as you can: www.sherrysteele.com.

Happy painting....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Merchandising Your Art

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections