Just back from Italy and Sicily with lots of beautiful scenes to paint!!

What an incredible trip! We are just back from a 14 day journey to Rome  then across Sicily to the east Coast and over to Italy's Amalfi Coast before returning to Rome. We saw beautiful country, idyllic waters, enjoyed the friendly people & their foods  & marveled at well kept relics of life from 7 centuries before Christ. The influences of  different empires that situated themselves there from Africans, Arabs , Spaniards, Greeks and Normans are still evident today. Ancient temples were reconstructed as Basilicas still in use today but left with Arabic domes and tiles to show their history. Even earthquakes could not stop this area from being the showplace of life in the past and yet it is vibrant today with its inhabitants. Colors are indescribable...so I guess I'll have to paint them.

I definitely doodled a little on the trip. Thanks to advice from fellow painter, Martha Ruth, who had just returned from Rome the week prior, I brought 10 4"x5" pieces of watercolor paper and a very small travel kit ( 5" round) from Raphael paints. It was equipped with a mini paintbrush but I brought my favorite 2 sided flat/round as well. One of my favorite moments was in Catania painting on the steps outside our picturesque Hotel with my new friend, "Luige" . She is a relatively new painter but an accomplished quick learner with a nice, loose touch. We spent just an hour there and
think we will both remember it as very special. Here is my balcony scene from that morning in Catania and also a balcony view from our hotel in Reggio Calabria, Italy. Across the sea is Sicily.

 

 
 

 
FYI if you plan to travel by air, no paints are allowed in the cabin...bummer but the rules are for safety regarding hazardous concoctions and odors. I did bring a pencil and changed my genre to drawing which was a good practice for me. This is a favorite tool of my daughter, Leslie, who has mastered the pencil sketches. Here is my chosen scene of The Fountain of Trevi. I plan to paint a larger version of this , for sure.
 
 
BTW, the winning title of the cactus wreath contest ( see my Aug 18 blog) was Anne Witt, my clever daughter in law , who immediately titled it "Cool Yule". That lead to the final title: "Have a Cool Yule, Y'all!"....we do live in Texas and that is a Texas cactus, after all... Cards have been ordered and will be sold at two shows in November. I will send details soon for anyone wanting to order for Christmas. I do encourage you to create your own cards. It is great fun and many comments are promised from your recipients.
Ciao, Bella! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas from Maui ...

Merchandising Your Art

Round Top Treasures... a lesson on painting reflections